Monday 11 May 2020

D-71: Heart, Southern Continent, unknown soldier's diary recovered from battlefield

We were jammed in the transport. All the seats were full, casualties in the walkway, no medics. I was standing in the footspace of a seat with two guys jammed on it. Every time the truck hit a bump the injured screamed. I saw one of the guys use his own sedative on one of the injured. Hope he made it. I didn't recognise anyone, none from my company. Inside that truck was nightmare material, but I was relieved to be in there. Four days in a pit just waiting. Then boom.

I was dug in on a hillside and I could see the sea. It erupted, like a volcano. No, a whole line of volcanoes. First a huge crash a mile out, then another closer, and another. It came in, explosion after explosion. When they hit the land each one was like an earthquake. They went past on my left smashing everything. Dirt rained down, and bricks, and concrete. Lucky to not be hit. I put my resper on, the air was thick with dirt. I'd seen the training films about ortillery, the orbital stuff, but it just doesn't prepare you. Not for the real thing. I was shaking for hours after.

When the air cleared, the rest of the company was gone. There was just dirt. The woods, the buildings, even the roads we used to move up, it was all gone. It was weird too, not just the being scared, but that on my left was nothing, and on my right everything was normal. The city was still there, unhurt, or it looked unhurt. But the other way, nothing. I don't know if I'm the only one left from 3rd.

When we were kicked off the transport I didn't know where we were, still don't. We’re in some hills, there are mountains to the North. Some officers were stomping around. They grouped us into fire teams and told us to dig in. I used my knife as I'd lost my digging kit. I'm here with five other guys and you better believe we dug in. Took turns with the digging gear they had. By the time we'd finished we were able to stand up and our heads couldn't be seen, we even had dug outs. After seeing the amount of debris last time we wanted something over our heads. No food.



No comments:

Post a Comment